Iran to Continue Enhancing Defensive Capabilities despite US Threats

An international advisor to the Leader of Iran’s Islamic Revolution says the country will continue to bolster its defence systems despite the threatening language from “rookie” US President Donald Trump over its latest missile test.

“These empty threats will not stop us from pursuing the correct path of building strong defence,” said Ali Akbar Velayati, a foreign policy advisor to the Leader of Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei.

“The Islamic Republic of Iran, as the foremost regional power with high capacities, will not bow to pressure and we will not seek permission [from foreigners] to defend ourselves,” IRNA quoted Velayati as saying on Thursday.

Velayati said it is not the first time that an “inexperienced” US official is threatening Tehran, advising the tycoon-turned-politician to use the experiences of previous American leaders.

“Time will teach Trump that mere rhetoric will only discredit him in the eyes of the public. Such behaviour will be detrimental to American people and the US national interests. The US will be the final loser,” he said.

“[Trump] should ask his predecessors about how Americans failed in Afghanistan, Iraq and Syria,” he noted, as reported by Financial Tribune.

Trump said on Thursday Iran had been put “on notice” for test-firing a ballistic missile that the White House says could be in violation of UN Resolution 2231.

Later on the same day, responding to a question about whether he would consider military options to respond to Iran, Trump told reporters “nothing is off the table”.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

*