Iran’s Foreign Ministry took a swipe at the US administration for interfering in the Islamic Republic’s internal affairs by commenting on the recent sentences against two Iranian-American individuals imposed by an Iranian court.
Foreign Ministry Spokesman Bahram Qassemi on Wednesday lashed out at the US for attempting to link the rulings issued by independent Iranian courts against “foreign criminals and spies” to the international business ties with Iran.
He also described the interfering comments about decisions made by Iran’s Judiciary as an example of “futile and fruitless attempts to undermine international cooperation with Iran.”
Slamming the US government for “implicit threats” against Iran, Qassemi said such unconstructive moves would only fortify the “wall of the Iranian nation’s distrust of the US.”
He made the comments in reaction to remarks by Mark C. Toner, deputy spokesperson of the US Department of State, who has voiced concern about an Iranian court’s sentence against Iranian-American citizens Siamak Namazi and Baqer Namazi.
The son and father have been sentenced to 10 years in prison on charges of cooperating with the US.
Toner said the two had been “unjustly detained” in Iran, and called for their immediate release.