Iran Has Yet to Make Any Contact with Trump’s Administration: FM

Mohammad Javad Zarif

Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said there have been no contacts between Iran and the new US administration that will be sworn in on Friday.

“We have not made any contacts with the new US administration as of yet,” Zarif, who is in Davos, Switzerland, said on Tuesday, the Arabic-language Al Mayadeen TV reported.

He also said Iran will take part in a conference on the future of Syria planned to be held in Europe in the spring.

EU Foreign Policy Chief Federica Mogherini said earlier this week that the UN Syria donors conference will take place in the Belgian capital of Brussels in the near future.

“I have shared the plans to hold the UN joint conference on the future of Syria this spring. The conference will aim at two things. On the one hand it will allow to assess fulfillment of the liabilities undertaken during the donor conference in London last year.

“I hope that in a few months after the scheduled reset of the intra-Syrian negotiations in Geneva under the UN aegis, the international community will turn the page and begin the political transition, process of reconciliation and restoration of Syria on the basis of the existing resolutions of the UN Security Council”, Mogherini said, adding that the conference will be held in close connection with the UN and UN Special Envoy for Syria Stafan de Mistura.

LEAVE A REPLY


*