Iranian Spokesman Shrugs Off US Presidential Hopefuls’ Remarks on JCPOA

Bahram Ghasemi

Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Bahram Qassemi rejected recent remarks by US presidential hopefuls about the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) – a lasting nuclear deal between Tehran and world powers, saying that such remarks are only aimed at gaining more votes.

“Such statements are mostly campaign slogans as we have previously seen similar cases in some other countries,” Qassemi said in an interview Tuesday with Japan’s Kyodo News Agency in Tehran.

Principally, politicians’ stances change when they seize power, he said, adding that governments always adjust themselves to realities on the ground.

“The nuclear agreement is based on mutual understanding and if the US, someday, wants to violate the deal based on its immature perceptions, the other party (Iran) will do the same and we have no concerns about the issue,” the spokesman stressed.

In a ceremony last week during which New York billionaire Donald Trump formally accepted the Republican Party nomination for president, he said the Iran nuclear deal “gave us absolutely nothing” and “will go down in history as one of the worst deals ever negotiated.”

While the JCPOA, the 159-page nuclear agreement between Iran and the Group 5+1 (Russia, China, the US, Britain, France and Germany) came into force in January, some Iranian officials complain about the US failure to fully implement the accord.

Back in March, Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyed Ali Khamenei said Americans have yet to fulfill what they were supposed to do as per the nuclear deal.

Iran still has problems in its banking transactions or in restoring its frozen assets, because Western countries and those involved in such processes are afraid of Americans, the Leader said at the time, criticizing the US for its moves to prevent Iran from taking advantage of the sanctions removal.