Iran to lodge complaint against Saudi Arabia for deaths of pilgrims

Asked about Riyadh’s possible decision to bury the dead in the Arab country, Nobakht said that the Saudis cannot do that without the official procedures or permission from the victims’ families.

Government Spokesman Mohammad Bagher Nobakht said on Tuesday that Tehran is going to file a complaint against Saudi Arabia for the shortcomings that led to a tragic crush of pilgrims during the annual Hajj rituals and deaths of Iranians.

Speaking to reporters in a weekly press conference, Nobakht said that Iran will lodge a complaint against Saudi Arabia and follow up with legal actions.

Tehran also pursues mechanisms in the international arena to pursue the case, the vice president added.

He made it clear that Iran will spare no efforts to defend the rights of the Iranian pilgrims, the missing ones and those injured in the disaster.

Asked about Riyadh’s possible decision to bury the dead in the Arab country, Nobakht underlined that the Saudis cannot do that without the official procedures or permission from the victims’ families, stressing that Iran has not granted permission to Saudi Arabia to do that.

So far, at least 239 Iranian pilgrims have been confirmed dead in the incident. Some 240 other Iranians are still unaccounted for.

LEAVE A REPLY


*