An MP has said he hopes that severe sentences will be given out to attackers on the Saudi Embassy in Tehran, which would help prevent a repetition of such unacceptable incidents in the future.
Heshmatollah Falahatpishe, a principalist legislator, made the statement referring to a recent announcement by the judiciary that the case of the January attack on the Saudi Embassy in Tehran will be heard in court next month.
The lawmaker told ICANA on Saturday June 18 that the court should pass a preventive verdict on the irrational move that in fact helped Saudis divert attention from their wrongdoing in last year’s hajj disaster in Mina, and sway international public opinion in their favour.
“It is expected that the court ruling will be [harsh enough to produce] deterrent effects, so we never again see such incidents which weaken our position in the international arena.”
The attackers were angered over the execution of top Shia cleric Sheikh Nimr al-Nimr, which provoked international condemnation. Although Iranian authorities condemned the attack and called for the prosecution of perpetrators, the Saudi regime used the incident to cut already strained diplomatic relations with Iran.
Judiciary spokesman Gholam Hossein Mohseni Ejei said last week that those accused of involvement in the attack will appear in court on July 18. He had previously said 48 people have been indicted in the case, of which three to four are clerics, who will be tried in a separate Special Clerical Court.
Reviving Iran’s Image
Another parliamentarian, Ardeshir Nourian, said he expects fair, appropriate sentences that help “revive the image of peace-loving Iran” in the world. “Under international law, diplomatic premises of any country are parts of its assets, and attacking them means attacking that country,” he noted.
Nourian said that Iranians who, for whatever reason, are disappointed with the moves of a foreign government should not get “emotional” and their protests should be “in line with national interest”.