“Signatories Agree to Maintain Iran Nuclear Deal amid Trump Threats”

Parties to the Iran nuclear deal are in agreement over the need to keep the watershed pact in place, confirming the US has been sidelined in internal discussions regarding the deal, a senior Iranian diplomat said.

“There was a consensus among parties – against the US – that the deal must be continued […],” said Abbas Araqchi, the Iranian deputy foreign minister for political affairs who headed the country’s delegation to a fresh round of talks on the nuclear deal.

Araqchi made the statement while speaking to reporters after the 11th meeting of the Joint Commission of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) in Vienna on Friday, according to a Farsi report by ISNA.

The meeting of the commission, tasked with monitoring the implementation of the nuclear deal, was held as US President Donald Trump has issued an ultimatum to European countries that the US will walk away from the 2015 agreement in mid-May unless they join Washington in addressing what he alleges are its “fatal flaws”.

Iran has so far held its ground, insisting it is not going to make new concessions to save the nuclear deal.

Araqchi, a member of the Iranian team who negotiated the pact, said the Iranian team has raised frequent violations of the deal by the US, calling for a change of tack in the US approach.

“From Iran’s point of view, threatening to walk out of the JCPOA is itself a violation of the deal, as all parties to the pact are committed to implement the deal in a good faith and constructive atmosphere,” Araqchi said, adding that other sides agreed with Iran’s position.

After the meeting, Araqchi also held bilateral talks with the head of the US delegation Brian Hook on the US violations of the pact and the Iranian nationals imprisoned in the US over accusations they have violated the remaining US sanctions on Iran.

   
   

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

5 × three =

*