Iran Slams US Formation of New Border Forces in Syria

Iran’s foreign ministry spokesman says Washington’s decision to build new border security forces in Syria is a direct interference in the Arab country’s internal affairs.

In a Tuesday statement, Bahram Qassemi said such a move further complicates the Syrian crisis and brings about more instability while fanning the flames of war in the country.

“What is notable is that this approach and decision of the US is announced at a time when the Syrian army and its allied forces have clinched significant victories in the fight against ISIS and al-Nusra Front,” he added.

The Iranian spokesperson also stated that the Islamic Republic of Iran, together with the Russian Federation and the Republic of Turkey, are trying to resolve the crisis through Astana Process and creation of de-escalation zones.

So far, he said, considerable gains have been made and significant successes have been achieved in this way.

Though already too late, Qassemi added, it is time for the US to change its interventionist and destructive policies in the region, withdraw its troops from Syria as soon as possible and let the Syrians decide their fate and future as the majority of people want.

Qassemi’s remarks came after the US said on Sunday it is working to create a 30,000-person border security force in northern Syria, drawing sharp condemnation from Turkey.

The move was harshly criticized by Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan who lambasted the United States for establishing a “terror army” along borders against Ankara’s warnings.

Erdogan threatened to “strangle” a planned 30000-strong US-backed force in Syria “before it’s even born.” He added that Turkey “would be happy if the US leaves equivocation and articulate its intentions openly.”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

nine + twelve =

*